To accurately diagnose pharyngitis caused by Group A Streptococcus
(GAS) due to increasing incidence and prevalence globally.
- Annually, 616 million people have GAS pharyngitis, more than 18.1 million people develop severe GAS disease and more than 517,000 people die due to severe GAS disease.1
Reduce overuse of antibiotics for the treatment of pharyngitis
- Literature shows 37% of children who presented with pharyngitis tested positive for GAS, however 56% of visits were associated with antibiotic prescriptions. Similarly, 18% of adults presented with pharyngitis caused by GAS, but 72% were treated with antibiotics.2
(1) The Global Burden of Group A Streptococcal Diseases. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Nov; 5(11):685-94.
(2) Fleming-Dutra KE, et al. Prevalence of Inappropriate Antibiotic Prescriptions Among US Ambulatory Care Visits, 2010-2011. JAMA. 2016 May 3;315(17):1864-73.;
(3) Workflow studies conducted by Cepheid Solutions demonstrate that a throat culture confirmation workup costs~ $9.13 per culture. (Average cost includes reagents, labor cost and time). Data on file.
(4) Shulman ST, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis and Management of Group A Streptococcal Pharyngitis: 2012 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Nov 15;55(10):1279-82.