Enterovirus (EV) meningitis is very common among young children, but very difficult to differentiate from bacterial meningitis due to similar clinical presentations. As a result, patients are often admitted and treated empirically.
- EV meningitis is estimated to cause 30,000 to 50,000 hospitalizations annually in the US1
- EV meningitis is usually self-limiting and does not require antibiotic treatment2
- EV meningitis and bacterial meningitis are very difficult to differentiate by symptoms alone2
- Suspected meningitis patients are often admitted and treated empirically2
- Empirical treatment of suspected meningitis patients are costly for hospitals3,4,5